New York: Daniel R. Kennedy, Sept. 1–3, 1910. Small 8vo, contemporary red pebbled cloth, gilt; original gilt-printed card covers bound in. 92, (4) pages; 1626 lots; 42 very fine photographic plates. Hand-priced in red ink; original printed sale announcement laid in. Near fine. Item #5325
Adams 43. A most important plated sale catalogue; infrequently offered. It is especially noteworthy for Mougey’s outstanding collection of nearly 300 superb large cents, of which over 200 are depicted on the first twenty plates. The remainder of the plates depict rare colonial and American coins from half cents to double eagles. When the collection was sold, it was the property of William H. Woodin, who had removed some of the gold rarities and silver dollars beforehand for his own collection. The remainder of the silver coins and choice large cents and half cents, however, were offered intact. The plates were prepared by Edgar Adams and fifty illustrated copies were supposedly issued—but, like so many other photographically illustrated sale catalogues of the period, the majority seem to have vanished into the ether. Only half a dozen or so different copies have come up for sale in the past quarter century or more. Elder termed Mougey a “numismatic seer,” noting in the foreword to the catalogue that “He prized only those coins which were beautifully preserved, only the ones which turn out to be the most valuable today... His coins came from notable sales, including the Mickley, Winsor, Bushnell, Parmelee, Frothingham, Cleneay, Maris, and others... In point of general fine preservation of the pieces, such a coin collection has never been offered either privately or publicly in America.” Adams A+: “Superb cents: gem 1793 Cap, Wreath; finest knowns in abundance. Choice half cents: red 1802/00. MS 1796 50¢ (2). MS 1873-CC 50¢. VF 1802 5¢. 1797 $5 (2). 1819, 1821 $5. 1873 $3. MS 1796 $2.50. 1834 $2.50 with motto. Mint sets. Gold proof sets. 1785 Confederatio 1¢.” Davis 355. Allison W. Jackman's copy, with his bookplate and signature. Ex Eric P. Newman Library.